For those of us confined to wheelchairs, comfort and support are paramount factors in the quality of life we may experience. There are enormous benefits in having a custom-sculpted chair support that will disperse weight evenly and prevent slipping out of the optimal comfort/support posture.
Our client, Megalong Positioning Service , certainly appreciates this and approached RA to automate 3D modelling and machining of the custom support foam inserts for their clients’ wheel chairs. Each client is first seated in a special-purpose bean-bag which can then be vacuum-locked to their impression.
Previously, the supports had to be sawn by hand and refined over several client-fitting appointments and trials. With the accuracy of digital scanning, 3D modelling and robotics, this can now be reduced to just one fitting!
At right: The hand-held 3D scanner unit records the impression of each client’s body-shape. Inset: the resulting model is then converted to a robotic milling-path (see video – below).
Application in Action :
Equipment in Focus : The new system utilises…
- A hand-scanner unit to record the client’s body-shape.
- 3D modelling software to refine the scan-model and convert this to a robotic machining path.
- A Motoman HP20D robotic arm with elevational base and high-speed milling unit.
Benefits include :
- Greater efficiency & productivity.
- Reduced client fitting appointments and travel needed.
- Reduced costs.
- Less material wastage.
- Staff time can be re-allocated.
- Accurate results and improved product quality.
- Better client outcomes.